Protect Your Furry Family Member: Five Potentially Lethal Toxins Lurking in Your Home

To recognize National Animal Poison Prevention Week from March 19 to 25, our team has put together a list of some of the most hazardous household items for pets.


#1: Medications

House pets, particularly food-motivated canines, are prone to consuming medication left unguarded – from an entire packet of beef-flavored heartworm preventives to their owner’s prescription medicine. If you’re unable to grab the pills before your pet does or if they sniff out a pill bottle in guest luggage or on countertops, it could be deadly for them. Therefore, contact animal poison control as soon as possible!


#2: Food

Your pet may be tempted to explore the kitchen for delicious treats, however, certain foods can be life-threatening. Chocolate, macadamia nuts, xylitol, and avocados are just a few of the hazardous items that could result in serious complications such as kidney failure or alcohol poisoning. To protect your pet from these risks, prevent them from roaming in your cooking area, and invest in a secure garbage bin with an effective lock system!


#3: Household chemicals

To keep your pet safe and sound, remember to store away all of the following potentially dangerous chemicals that could be harmful if consumed in large quantities:

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants
  • Aerosol air fresheners and other products
  • Candles
  • Antifreeze
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Paint
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover


#4: Houseplants

When it comes to houseplants, if you have pets in the home, caution must be taken. Lilies are exceptionally toxic to cats and can even be fatal if they come into contact with their pollen! Other plants that could harm your furry friends include dieffenbachia, elephant ears, and spider plants. Additionally, some outdoor greenery such as ivy or oleander can also pose a threat. To help ensure your pet’s safety and keep them away from potentially hazardous flora always check the ASPCA’s list of toxic plants before bringing any bouquets inside or planting new additions outside.


#5: Batteries and coins

If pets swallow batteries or coins, they could be exposed to metal poisoning. Furthermore, if the battery has been chewed on and punctured by your beloved companion animal, chemical burns are a definite possibility. Additionally, intact batteries that have been ingested whole can result in gastrointestinal blockage – another problematic outcome of such ingestions!


In the event that your beloved pet has come into contact with a harmful substance, make sure to call our team right away.